Tigernuts, unlike its name, aren’t nuts at all; rather, are small root vegetables. Tigernuts are non-allergenic, paleo-friendly foods with the highest source of resistant starch, an elusive type of fiber that is good in the digestive tract. Tigernuts are of great nutritional value and include a balance of protein, fats and carbs. Interestingly, the fat profile is very similar to olive oil, which has been heavily studied for its heart-health benefits.
Tigernut powder can be purchased on iSabiFood
Find below some helpful recipes below
Bittersweet Tigernut Brownies
Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins | Serves: 16 brownies
- ½ cup (Buy tigernut flour here.)
- 1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- ½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 3 eggs
- Grease a 9-inch by 9-inch brownie pan, and heat the oven to 350 F.
- Dump the tigernut flour, cocoa, arrowroot starch, vanilla bean powder and sea salt into a small bowl and whisk them together until thoroughly combined. Let the bowl alone while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring it to a slow boil. Set a tempered glass or pyrex bowl over the simmering water to create a double boiler. Melt the butter and sugar together in the top bowl. When the butter melts, whisk it into the sugar until it forms a smooth and uniform paste, then stir in the chocolate. Continue stirring the chocolate into the butter and sugar until it melts.
- Immediately remove the bowl from the heat and beat in the eggs. The batter will stiffen slightly when the eggs are fully incorporated, then beat in the dry ingredients until they’re thoroughly and uniformly combined. Pour the batter into a prepared brownie pan and bake for 20 minutes, cool completely, and then slice and serve.
Tigernut Flour Pancakes
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 10-15 mins | Total time: 20 mins | Servings: 12 4″ pancakes
- 4 pastured eggs
- available here
- ¼ cup coconut flour, available here
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. raw apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- Properly measuring the flours is key to the recipe. Stir the tigernut flour with a fork to “loosen” it, then dip in the measuring cup and level the top with a knife. Measure the coconut flour the same way.
- Combine the flours and the eggs to create a smooth batter. Mixing these ingredients first allows you to smooth out the clumps of tigernut flour. Then, add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
- Cook pancakes as usual and enjoy with your favorite toppings!
Store leftover pancakes in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. These leftover pancakes actually make a delicious “bread” for grain free sandwiches!
Chewy Spice Cookies
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 5 -10 mins | Total time: 30 mins | Servings: 10 – 12 cookies
- 8 dates (about ½ cup packed)
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, Buy coconut oil here
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup tigernut flour (packed), Buy tigernut flour here
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Place the dates, oil, egg, and vanilla into a food processor fitted with the standard “s” blade; process until the mixture is very smooth and pureed. Then add the remaining ingredients and process again to combine.
- Drop cookie dough by the heaping tablespoon full onto the cookie sheet. You should have 10 to 12 cookies. Using wet hands, gently flatten each one.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes on the cookie sheet placing onto a plate to cool.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- 6 tablespoons cocoa (1 1/2oz)
- 1/4 cup chia seed flour (1oz)
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour (1 1/2oz or 40g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract or 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, full fat (4oz)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (2 1/2oz)
- 1 large avocado
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil or 1/2 -1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Stir in wet until batter is smooth.
- Scoop cupcakes into cupcake liners.
- This recipe makes 9 cupcakes.
- Bake for about 15 -16 minutes. Or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes carefully from pan to let cool on wire rack.
- As cupcakes cool make frosting.
- Blend everything in Vitamex blender.
- Adjust sweetness and mint to taste.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
- Top with chocolate chips.
Chocolate Mocha Tigernut Smoothie
- 12 oz dairy-free milk
- 1 banana, frozen OR fresh
- 1/4 cup tiger nuts (or use what you have on hand)
- 1-2 scoops chocolate
- 2 cups ice
Blend it all up in a high speed blender until completely combined. Add more milk as necessary. Makes 1 large smoothie. Enjoy!